nafex - Nitrogen Fertilizer (was [NAFEX] Re: nafex digest, Vol 1 #98 - 5 msgs)

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Nitrogen Fertilizer (was [NAFEX] Re: nafex digest, Vol 1 #98 - 5 msgs)
  • Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 16:29:11 -0400

If I have proved anything, I have proved that our bulldozed, worn out
acidic upland clay is really as bad as the soil survey says it is. I've
also proved that the same soil can even grow perfect cabbages given enough
organic matter and lime over 7 years. Since I have trees that have limped
along this long without chemical fertilizers (my husband is adamant about
it, and my son has warned me about the use of fertilizer factories as a way
to get rid of toxic wastes), I am working on improving soil tilth around
them by throwing tree trimmings and cornstalks around them.

Heard an interesting report on NPR recently. Nitrogen
fertilizer is estimated to support 2 billion of the
world's population. And some experts believe that China
opened up when it did because it needed Nitrogen plants
(supposedly they were recycling every bit of organic
matter they could and could not raise enough food to
support their population). They ordered 13 Nitrogen
factories not long after they opened up. They are now
a food exporter.

On the other hand, Nitrogen (and Nitrogen fertilizer)
is one of the major causes of pollution in the world,
there is now an excess of Nitrogen almost everywhere (of course except
specifically where in the soil we want it :-(

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2002/jul/fritzhaber/index.html

Personally, I try to use as little non-organic fertilizer as
possible, but I also recognize that I don't can't generate
enough compost in a year to improve my soil as much as I'd like to.

Chris Mauchline