nafex - Re: [NAFEX] RE: Lindane

  • From: "The Hawkes'" <mail@logcabinorchard.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] RE: Lindane
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 17:52:43 -0400

Tom. I respect your opinion and your beliefs. My experience as a
commercial orchardist (small albeit) is that pesticides are nasty. Maybe
safe to the consumer but not necessarily safe to the environment or to the
applicator. Pesticides are rather indiscriminate in their killing action
(young birds, good bugs, toads, frogs and snakes) and the lingering effect
is sometimes in excess of 7 - 10 days (they retain their toxic qualities for
that length of time). Organicists don't normally apply tobacco, rotenone,
rhubarb or the like due to their indiscriminate nature. Most organicists
are quite cognizant of the effects of whatever they use - we use garlic, BT,
Trichogramma wasps, mating disruptors, visual traps (ladd traps) and the
like. Hopefully, next year we will be using Surround here in Canada which
is not insecticidal but a repellent. Nevertheless, I do agree that crops
are more vulnerable when applying organic principles but those are the
risks. Organic apple growing however on a large monocropping basis is
likely a pipe dream in eastern North America if the desire is to produce
dessert quality fruit.

Just my $0.02 worth. Happy growing. By the way we have no crop again this
year due to late spring frosts and unseasonably cool and wet weather in
May - having nothing to do with our organic practices.

Regards,

Gord Hawkes
Log Cabin Orchard
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada, Eh!