nafex - Re: [NAFEX] hardy almond

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] hardy almond
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 11:40:15 -0700

If it's the Hall's Hardy, that's a peach-almond hybrid and should set by
itself. If it's a true almond, it needs a pollinator. You would probably
get a better chance of results with a second tree as a pollinator. Not that
the Halls Hardy is all that good - the nuts are as hard as peach pits and
the kernals are bitter.
One problem with lots of almonds is that that they bloom extremely early,
often before there are enough pollinating insects. Another is that they
frequently get frosted, or in wet spring weather, get pseudomonas in the
blossoms, which kills them.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
http://www.bunchgrapes.com