nafex - [NAFEX] New Rabbiteye Blueberry

  • From: LONGDISTSHTR <longdistshtr@InfoAve.Net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] New Rabbiteye Blueberry
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:52:44 -0400

Well, the Agricultural Research Service is still promising to have an
answer according to the post by Lon.
Has anyone had any success with the cultivars that they have released?
Maybe they are helping in other parts of the Country, but in the South
East it seems that they haven't come up with much. At least I haven't
seen anything. Of course I'm not a commercial producer.
This stupid plum/apricot piece of crap which I had to call my
Congressman to get the name of a nursery which could supply it, cause
the ARS was reluctant to recommend one, was a real loser. I personally
think their research isn't paying enough to attention to folks like us
who accidently discover more good trees than they have ever developed or
released.
I had to plant eight types of muscadines and eight types of figs along
with twelve rabbiteye blue berries to get satisfactory results from one
or two of them. I read everything I could get my hands on from the
State Extension Service before I planted them and that was a waste of
time. Locals recommended types with some mis-named varieties which
weren't found in any nurseries, anywhere.
If I could start over again, I would only plant those varieties
recommended by NAFEX Members in this locale.(if I can find one) I don't
expect grape growers on the West Coast to know much about muscadines. I
can't expect researchers to know what is best for my region either
because they haven't asked me or anyone I know. Forgive me for not
trusting nurseries' advice, but I don't trust a barber's advice about
whether I need a haircut either. Nor a surgeon's advice about whether I
need an operation. Nor a car dealer, etc.
Regards,
Doc Lisenby Zone 7 or 8