nafex - Re: [NAFEX] plums/grafting

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] plums/grafting
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 17:42:37 +0000

Charlie, your plum thicket makes my mouth water! My plum grafting luck on to p. americana has been nearly a zero. For 4 years I have been trying both spring W&T grafting of dormant scions ( both bench and in the field) , and late august bud grafting.
So far I have only one that has grafted successfully...bud graft of Alderman on p. americana. I have been working with pembina, alderman, and waneta.
On wild chokecherrry I have had fair succss experimenting with W&T graft of p. maritima, looks like this week I'll get the first blooms of that graft.
On apples - I just bench grafted 47 M26's to about 35 varieties for a friend's first orchard, and all but two are good, so my technique doesn't seem too bad, Any advice? Thanks, Del
Del Stubbs ag zone2/3
birds and turtles http://www.PictureTrail.com/del3