nafex - Re: [NAFEX] plums/grafting

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] plums/grafting
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 13:22:05 -0500

Del,

I'm hardly anything more than a novice with stonefruits - and I've virtually abandoned all of them that I currently have planted - I'm just waiting on the borers to take 'em out so I can replace them with pears or persimmons - but I have grafted a few, with reasonable success.
I've done simple whips or W&T of dormant scions of both Euro & Jap hybrid plums onto native plum(P.angustifolia?), P.americana, and Nanking cherry(P.tomentosa) with good results - after the rootstocks had fully leafed.
I've done summer budding of peaches and Jap.hybrid plums onto both P.americana and P.tomentosa.

A friend sent me an assortment of sweet cherry scions this spring, and some Tomcot wood, as well. It all stayed in the fridge, as I really wasn't too hep on even trying 'em, but I figured Don Yellman liked Tomcot so much that I'd give it a try anyway. I did W&T of one piece each on P.americana & P.tomentosa - long after they'd leafed out - heck, I think the Nankings had already bloomed, and both are growing quite nicely, right now.

Another friend sent some Stanley scions, and I just fostered a couple of pieces onto the Green Gage, Peach, and unidentified Euro plum selection Lon sent me years ago(It lost the label, and I can't recall now if it was the Burbank Seedless or a numbered selection). W&T grafts, done in early May, all seem to have taken and are growing nicely.
Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY