nafex - Re: [nafex] off topic??

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] off topic??
  • Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 19:52:55 -0500

Hi Ginda:

Gee, I hope nobody took you to task for discussing tomatoes, etc. I
think the list is pretty flexible. Most of us tend to write about
topics that generate response. Responses are feedback that there are
others in the group who are interested in the topic and that there are
people who want to contribute to the pool of knowledge.

No response just means that people with similar interests were not
attending the list. Even if you got no response you could always try
again in six months.

Some topics are so remote from the nuts-and-bolts of fruit growing
(politics, for instance) that they should not be sent to the list.

For the record, my first tomato seedlings are up. May 15 is the target
date for planting outside. I intend to grow Peron, Carnival, First Lady
and a seedling originally from Honduras. Muskmelons for this year are
Passport and Primo selected for high sugar content.

Transplanted 13 Quince A and intend to dormant chip bud to Duchesse
Bronzee and/or Potomac. Will bud about 1" (25mm) above ground level and
mound chipped limestone around stem of quince to protect from low winter
temperatures. Mounded stone may lower soil temperature but, reading
Bernie N, I am lead to believe that most morality is due to trunk damage.

Best regards, Joe

--
-Joe Hecksel
My personal web site: http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel