nafex - Re: [nafex] apricots sprouting-yikes!

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] apricots sprouting-yikes!
  • Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 18:17:24 -0500

For many baby plants, the depth of the pot matters more than the width.
I sprouting a variety of fruits and flowers last year in various types
of pots. The pansies did best in the shallow pots, mostly because those
were the easiest to keep damp. (water wicked up from below for these)
Almost everything else did better in the deep narrow pots - the
difference in the tomato seedlings was stunning. My father did a
similar experiment and also found that his vegetables did best in deeper
pots. (He kept them all well watered. He's more organized than I.)
The width of the pots seems less important.

I haven't experimented with trees myself, but I've read that they do
better in deep pots. (The deepest tomato flats I used were designed for
tree seedlings) I believe it. I bet that the tall skinny quart
containers of milk would have more than enough room for a year of
growth. Some pint pots would be fine, but short fat ones might not be.

Also, I don't have much personal experience with transplanting
seedlings, but I've read that newly sprouted seeds, with no true leaves,
can be easier to move than more mature ones.

I agree with Hélène that adequate light it critical.

Ginda Fisher

HDessureault wrote:

> Hi Del,

<snip>

> <<<<
> If I decide to transplant to the nursery bed in mid-June, would pint pots be
> big enough for the next 2 1/2 months' growing?
> >>>>

> A friend of mine grew 5 walnut seedlings in a 2 liter waxed milk container
> for the summer and transplanted with 100 % success the following Fall. The
> answer to your question would depend on many factors. You have 5 pots with 6
> seedlings in each. How deep are your pots?Can you make a hole at the bottom
> and place them in a shallow container to provide constant moisture so the
> seedlings will not dry out, when you place them outdoors later on? Can you
> go semi hydroponically by keeping your pots in a container with 2" of water?
> You would have to trim back some of the wild water bound roots when you
> transplant, but it should work...Could you remove the bottom part of the pot
> (if it was a sphaghum moss pot, for instance) and plant the whole thing
> undisturbed in a larger pot? I remember that the containers designed to
> carry seedlings for reforestation purposes are 2"x6" deep and carry 24
> little seedlings, I think, to a flat. Each seedling gets 2"x6" of soil space
> for the first year of growth. There is a hole at the bottom and I imagine
> the flats are sitting in bit of water through which nutrients are given. Can
> you put back the ones that have not sprouted too much back in the fridge for
> another month? (Just examining possibilities to multiply chances of
> success...)
> Anyway, from what it sounds my main worry at this point would be light!
> Good luck.
> Hélène

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.