nafex - [nafex] apricots sprouting-yikes!

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] apricots sprouting-yikes!
  • Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 15:22:39 +0000

Edited version of what Hélène wrote:
>Here is a method for transplanting trees during the growing season:
>You plant your seedling in the permanent location.... You make a tent over
>it with an open> plastic garbage bag black or dark green...
>There is no light, so no photosynthesis and also minimum evaporation from>
>the leaves. The tree "concentrates" on the roots' establishment and the
>leaves remain exactly the way they were at transplant.
>I didn't get any information on when you can remove the bag, but,
>personally, I leave it about three weeks to a month. I remove the bag in >
>the evening when the weather is expected to be overcast for the next day
> >or so and I water the seedlings. The tree resumes growing normally as
>soon as >it gets light.
Do not let in a bit of light as the vegetation part
>will keep on growing in the reduced light and get long, leggy and weak. >To
>sum this up, you might say that you give the tree the impression it is
> >night time (a long night)....

Hélène, thankyou for thoughtful reply. I got caught unprepared to have
apricot seeds sprouting so early! It is 5°F this morn, the ground is frozen
yet. I have 30+ apricot seedlings, planted together in 5 pots...as that was
all I had available, and can't yet dig soil. (The later fruiting variety is
the first one to sprout, interesting). Six of them are 1" to 2" high,
showing leaves, and are spindly. I am thinking it will be too hard on them
to transplant them out of the pots in June, but even if I could come up with
30 one gallon pots with potting soil tomorrow, isn't it too late already to
transplant into pots?
These seedlings are valuable to me, because there is no guessing when this
apricot will fruit again in this climate.
I am fascinated by the dark tent idea. If I understand correctly, I would
transplant the little two month old seedlngs into the nursery in June, and
keep them dark for several weeks as an adaptation period.
Would not this sudden darkness kill them as easily as transplant shock?
Would it be a good idea to 'dark tent' the seedlings where they are in their
collective pots now?
I have them in a 75°F area now. The oldest ones are already getting leggy.
Should I get a grow light?
Should I put them in the 40°F basement to slow them down?
Would gallon pots be big enough for a years' growth?
If I decide to transplant to the nursery bed in mid-June, would pint pots be
big enough for the next 2 1/2 months' growing?

Thanks everyone for any further help!, Del

Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.
FREE Money 2002.