nafex - Re: [nafex] Potting Mix Recipes

  • From: franc@oregonfast.net
  • To: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>, nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Potting Mix Recipes
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:53:50 -0800

Here our local nurseries a carry a bulk already made up potting mix
for about $25 a yard.
As it does not contain any real soil I generally mix it about 1 to 1
with my garden loam.
They have it by the sack already made up but it is extremely
expensive that way.
We can also get it from the supplier by the truck load much
cheaper. I believe it is about $75 for a 7-1/2 cy load.
Sam
On 27 Mar 2002 at 13:47, Doreen Howard wrote:

> Thanks to all who suggested local nurseries and garden centers as a source
> for 5 and 10 gallon cans. I found five of each today at a local garden
> center and paid 75 cent for each. They look to be in pristine condition.
>
> Now that I have the cans, I am faced with creating potting mix. At $6 for
> 24 qts. of the premium potting mix, I'd be spending about $150 for enough
> mix to fill my 10 cans. So....I am making my own. I figure it can't be too
> difficult. I already purchased 3 cubic feet bag of vermiculite. I figure
> that peat should be the base of the mix, along with the vermiculite. Other
> additives I'm considering are shredded bark, composted manure and lime to
> counter the peat. Does anyone have experience making their own mix? If so,
> what proportions and additives do you use? I will be putting bareroot roses
> and two miniature pear trees in these cans.
> Doreen Howard
> Wisconsin zone 4b, where it is spring-like today---hooray!!

> 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting and
> NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/iZp8OC/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM