nafex - [nafex] Re: life without tea roses

  • From: <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: life without tea roses
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:07:12 -0600

Never mind tea roses Vic, they don't like it down here in Tennessee either,
but it's disease, the wrong rootstocks, and rose virus (supplied at no extra
charge by the nurseries) that wipe them out. After years of losing my
attempts at flowers in the weeds, and saying that I was going to grow roses
some day, I have discovered heirloom roses. My finely honed NAFEX
neighborhood sleuthing skills and lots of practice talking with gardeners
and little old ladies have enabled me to find various antique roses much
faster than a novice would have done. Also there are some modern ones like
Aloha (circa 1950) that arose from Dr. Van Fleet's program at the turn of
the century to develop "dooryard roses" that anyone could grow in America.
Offspring of his "Dr. Van Fleet" and it's sport, "New Dawn", turn up
regularly in local yards. Gallicas are the most common heirlooms in the
south, as they spread by unerground runners and so are easlily dug and given
away. There is an old group of roses, the Banshees, that thrive way up into
Canada. I have found two of them here, where they do very well also. I
could probably get you some peices. I'll also be happy to talk rose swaps
off the list with anyone else. I do like a little of other discussions on
this list, it reminds me of how much we all know collectively. Donna

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/iZp8OC/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM