nafex - Re: [nafex] Potting Mix Recipes

  • From: "HDessureault" <inter.verbis@atreide.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Potting Mix Recipes
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:58:48 -0600

Hi Doreen,
I use roughly 1/3 peat moss, purchased in 5 cubic feet compacted package
(less than 10$ Cdn), and 2/3 compost. My compost is made in a sandy area so
it is light. I keep a few 5 gallons plastic pales of compost for this
purpose. It works well and I sometimes spray the seedlings with seaweed
diluted in water. Since the soil is not sterilized, I provide good air
circulation with a fan oriented on the back wall just to keep the air moving
and prevent damping-off. The compost provides enough nutrients to carry the
plants to transplanting stage.
I make individual cups with newspaper (I bought a wooden jig especially
designed for this purpose) to replace the prefab peat pots (though the paper
contains inks and bleaching material). I use 2 liters milk waxed containers
either to fill directly or to place six newspaper little as a container,
cut in two lengthwise.
In the past, every time I was ready to start my planting indoors, I always
had something missing. So now, I make most of it.
Hélène, zone 3-4

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!