nafex - [nafex] Re: drought

  • From: "crmauch" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: drought
  • Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 14:35:24 -0000

You might want to check local ordinances re: the laundry water (and
gray water in general). The prior owner of my house had routed his
laundry room discharge to a gravel drain "pit" rather than have it go
into his septic tank/field (I believe he was trying to avoid dealing
w/ a failing field). When it was discovered, he was forced to route
it into his septic tank.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@y..., "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@t...> wrote:
> Ginda,
> Even if you have water restrictions due to drought this summer, you
can
> water a new currant bush or two with gray water--leftover water
from the
> house. The dog or cat's stale water dish (instead of dumping it),
> dishwashing water, bath water, even washing machine water, if you
don't use
> phosphate-loaded soaps. I grew up in arid So. Calif. where we
watched our
> water consumption all the time. I remember how my Dad rigged the
hose from
> the washing machine to pour into his vegetable garden. And we used
to haul
> dish water out to the lemon and banana trees all the time.
> Doreen Howard,
> Wisconsin, Zone 4b, where winter finally arrived--2 feet of snow
fell in the
> last two days.

(including a
> > couple of currants, so this isn't entirely off-topic) but we've
had an
> > unusually warm and dry winter, and I'm worried we'll have a
drought this
> > summer. I can probably water anyway (my town rarely has tight
water
> > restrictions - every-other day is about as bad as I've seen it)
but I
> > wonder if I ought to just wait a year.
> >
> > In some ways, how much it rains during the spring and summer may
be more
> > important to success than how wet the winter was, but if it's
generally
> > dry, maybe more water would be needed. And then, even if we
don't hve
> > real watering restrictions, I don't want to be wasteful in a dry
year.

> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > Ginda FIsher
> > eastern Mass, zone 6

> > 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a
posting
> and NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was
large).

> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Buy Stock for $4.