nafex - Re: [nafex] drought

  • From: "Horticulture Ventures" <hortventures@cox.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] drought
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 19:37:33 -0800

Just a thought on saving household water for irrigating plants.

We have a two story house and our bathroom is quite a distance from the hot
water heater.

About two gallons of cold water must be dumped prior to hot water issuing
from the tap. Rather than collect the water, I have purchase a circulating
pump that pushes the cold water from the hot water tap into the cold water
line. There is a temperature sensor that automatically shuts off the pump
when warm water begins to be pumped. The result is that we have hot showers
without wasted cold water going down the drain. There is a remote device that
allows the pump to be trigger from the kitchen so cold water is not wasted
there either.The washing machine is just six from the hot water heater so
that is not a problem.

Two gallons per use may not sound lot much of a savings, but when multiplied
by the number of your family's daily showers and dish washing, the savings
can make a contribution towards outdoor irrigation needs without the
challenge of using greywater to irrigate your valuable plants.

New houses being built in our area now are required to include solar hot
water panels and recirculating hot water pumps in their design plans.

Claude Sweet
San Diego, CA

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search