nafex - [nafex] Re: Off topic- Cider history opinions

  • From: "edforest2010" <edforest55@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Off topic- Cider history opinions
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 03:29:14 -0000

> Is Bulmer's cider any indication of how true Enlish cider would
> taste, or is it just another Woodpecker?

Haven't tried Bulmer's but, if it doesn't make any claim to have
balanced sweet or sour and bitter flavors in the cider then its probly
not what he Brits drink.
I got mine from a friend who specifically went out to find this type
of cider in London last week. I thought it would cost a bundle but it
only cost 1.50 pounds which is only about . . . I guess 3.50 US
dollars. So, I am guessing that I didn't get the best English cider,
but even if its their worst, its better than our best. He brought me
three different kinds: Strong, medium, dry; strong, extra, dry; and
strong, medium, sweet. They varied in alcohol percent from 4.5 to 6.6,
and from completely dry to quite sweet. I liked the dry strong the
best, it was light and complex flavored, with the oak and the bitter
apples.
And yeah, I guess, if the author of that article is correct, we don't
need to specify the "hard" in hard cider, but most people
nowadays, including me, need the clarification otherwise they think
fresh, unfermented cider. (I call that "sweet cider" to distinguish it
from fermented apple juice [hard cider] and from pasterized, filtered
apple juice [or what we normally call 'apple juice'])
Kevin B

http://us.click.yahoo.com/IgTaHA/ZQdDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM