nafex - [nafex] Re: Off topic- Cider history opinions

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Off topic- Cider history opinions
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 20:30:20 -0500

edforest2010 wrote:

>Tom,
>Very interesting article, and very well written, the author allows you
>to try to figure it out along with him as one reads the article.
>Marvin Harris is my favorite enterpreter of human behavior, glad to
>see he's a source.

I am also a fan of Marvin Harris. He wrote many interesting things
about the evolution of the centeralization of power...economic and
political. His main themes revolve around cycles of intensification,
concentration...then inevitable depletion and, through technology, the
creation of new classes of resources.

Cider production is less ammenable to centralized production than malt
production. Cider, in its simplest form, is pretty straight forward.
Grind the apples. Squeeze. Store. Malt production, on the other
hand, requires scrupulous temperature and humidity control, then
roasting at just the right temperature. Another factor, pointed out by
Andrew Lea, is that beer can be brewed year-round and an new batch
cranked out every four weeks. Cider is a once-a-year deal and that is
not suited to amortization of the capital equipment required to make
material on an industrial scale. Modern firms like Bulmers make
much/most of their brew from concentrate purchased on the world market.

--

-Joe Hecksel

http://us.click.yahoo.com/IgTaHA/ZQdDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM