nafex - [nafex] Asian Pears

  • From: "Correnti, Andy" <andy.correnti@lmco.com>
  • To: "'nafex@yahoogroups.com'" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Asian Pears
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 08:35:24 -0400

Hi
Can anyone enlighten me on the ripening time for Asian Pears,
perhaps relative to that for Comice or Bartlett which I also have growing?
The varieties of Asians I have are Chojuro, Niitaka, Korean Giant, and
Hosui, all growing on Quince rootstock and bearing for the first time.
There isn't much fruit to experiment with, but one that I knocked off
accidently and ate had a nice texture and juiciness - the flavor was a bit
weak and green so I think as of last week they were not ready yet.

My experience growing these asian pears for 2 yrs has been very
good. The only thing I had to spray for was plum curculio. Interestingly,
the curculio seemed to only do their feeding on the asian pears. Whereas
they do much more damage on my apples and european pears with their egg
laying marks.

So, any insight on the ripening time...?

Andy Correnti
Collegeville (SE) PA
Zone 6b

FREE COLLEGE MONEY