nafex - Re: [nafex] pistachios

  • From: natelson@pipeline.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] pistachios
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 13:49:32 -0400

To add to Lucky's comments on Pistacios, I tried these in Houston (zone 9)
several years ago. I found Ms. Ferguson to be singularly unhelpful and
obtained alleged low-chill cultivars elsewhere. They did take (they are
relatively difficult to get takes compared with pome and stone fruits) but
growth was poor and even these were too high chill for this area. I finally
gave up. The rootstock actually makes a nice ornamental tree.

Regards, Ethan

nafex@yahoogroups.com wrote:
> Robert asked about pistachios.

I bought some seedlings from Ken Asmus several years ago, but they didn't
do very well for me, and eventually all died.
I talked with Dr. Louise Ferguson at the UC-Davis Fruit & Nut Research
Center, and she told me I was pretty much wasting my time, trying to grow
them in KY - too hot and muggy - and if it's too hot & muggy here, I KNOW
its way more so down there in Hot'Lanta!
Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY