nafex - [nafex] Halls Hardy Almond

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Halls Hardy Almond
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 20:45:34 -0400

Robert:

I had a Halls' Hardy for about 10 years before I finally got fed up
with it and took it down. Boy, did that thing grow fast. Without
pruning, it would have been at about 25 feet in that 10 years. The
"almonds" grow with quite a bit of fleshy material around them, and seem
suseptible to all the diseases and ills of peaches, without any of the
rewards. Finding them, cleaning them up, and cracking them is a major
task, and, as Lon observed,. they don't taste very good. The hulls are
harder than true almonds, and the kernels small. Finally decided it was
better to invest 98 cents in a can of real almonds.
The one good thing it did was to bloom beautifully every spring,
with deep pink blossoms. If you have one that doesn't fruit, I think I
would just give thanks.

Best Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM