nafex - Re: [nafex] care of new graft-lings

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <Nikolai@v-wave.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] care of new graft-lings
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 10:00:47 -0400 (EDT)

My guess is the amish nurseryman grafted or budded onto rootstock that had
been in the field one full year setting their roots, while you bench grafted
and then planted the trees. If you plant a bench grafted tree you normally
will not get anywhere near the first year's growth vrs. grafting onto
rootstock in place that has been in the field for a year and has established
its root system. It has nothing do do with geese or the time of grafting.
Up here in central Alberta even I can grow a 4 ft. whip in a single year,
but to do it I graft onto rootstock that has been sitting in the field for
one or even two years in place. The most I get on a bench grafted tree is
about 18 to 24 inches of growth in the first year. After the first year the
effect wears off a bit, but the bench grafted tree is still not as vigorous
the second growing season. After about 3 years things seem equal in terms
of growth for either type of tree.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton Alberta (now at green tip)