nafex - Re: [nafex] Spring pruning: currants, apple, grape

  • From: ribes60@aol.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Spring pruning: currants, apple, grape
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 22:10:38 EST

I have grown Crandalls for a number of years and they do get scraggle, and
they will bend to the ground with the weight of fruit.I try to take out most
of the side branches and tie most of the main upright canes to a wire
trellis.I think now that if I were re-doing the rows, I would do them like I
do raspberries. I put two steel fenceposts at each end of the rows, about 30
to 36 in apart and run wire to each of them. This will allow the row to be
supported by the wire. I would run two wires, one about 15 in off the ground
and the other about 36 in off the ground. Crandalls put on a very heavy load
of fruit.
Ed Mashburn
Northumberland BerryWorks
707 Front Street