nafex - [nafex] Pruning / Hormones

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Pruning / Hormones
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 21:23:31 -0500

Hi,

I have a question regarding pruning and the production of new suckers.

I have read on this list it is better to open up a fruit tree by removing
larger branches, and this has the added benefit of less suckers forming.

My assumption is that the wound caused by pruning, releases hormones that
tell the tree to grow and heal itself. Lots of little prunes all over the
tree, produce more hormones than just one larger wound, so small branch
pruning causes more suckering in the final analysis.

If my assumption is true, are there things we can paint pruning wounds with,
that will counteract the growth hormones released by the pruning injury?

>From what I have read, gibberilic-like hormones tell a plant to grow, so
there must be other hormones that tell a tree to go dormant. If these
hormones were known, and the proper concentrations painted on pruning wounds,
could suckering be reduced/eliminated?

Thanks for any info the experts may have.

Regards,
Tom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/03IJGA/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/VTJVlB/TM