nafex - Re: [nafex] FW: [Organic-l] Apple Tree Suggestions

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@harborside.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] FW: [Organic-l] Apple Tree Suggestions
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 10:41:16 -0800

"Lon J. Rombough" wrote:

> This is a cross posting from an organic gardening list in the UK. I
> was
> just wondering if anyone in the U.S. has experience with the varieties
> and
> could comment on these.
> -Lon Rombough
> ----------
> We have many apple varieties and our favourites are:
>
> St Edmund Russett
> Pixie
> Elstar
> Greensleeves
> Katy
>
> Elstar is our newest purchase and it is utterly delicious. Katy is
> 100%
> reliable. St Edmund the best of the russetts
> in our opinion, Pixie a good keeper and Greensleeves tart and juicy.
> I don't know if any of them are local to you, however.
>
> Julia
> in N.Cheshire

I have tried to grow Elstar here on the Oregon coast for several years.
It keeps dying back from Bullseye so I have never had a crop.
I am trying to keep it going for a couple more years.
Grafted it on a different tree this year to see if that will make a
difference.
There seem to be some apples that are very susceptible to bullseye and I
have given up on a couple of them already
Sam

http://us.click.yahoo.com/03IJGA/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/VTJVlB/TM