nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Elaeagnus family (how to approach unknown plants)

  • From: "John K. Fears" <jkfears@mindspring.com>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Elaeagnus family (how to approach unknown plants)
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 01:46:32 -0500

The E. pungens (thorny elaeagnus) is not really thorny. It has recurving,
sort of semi-blunt/sharp hooks (?). Don't know what purpose those hooks
have except to entangle themselves in all manner of things. Just try to
pull some small fallen treelimbs from the E. pungens and you will see what I
mean. In the summer, when you must prune those astoundingly fast growing
shoots that can literally grow 8'-10' in a matter of 6 or so weeks, the
hooks' main purpose seem to be making it difficult to pull out the pruned
shoots. If you want to really identify your plant, get a good reference
book like Dirr's and have at it. Don't know a thing about grafting this
plant and am not sure why you would want to. It fruits prolifically in the
spring but the fruit ripens suddenly and is just as suddenly gone in a week
or less from the local fauna. There may be others but the E. pungens is the
only one of the family that I know of that blooms in the fall and fruits in
the spring. Fruits are 3/8"-1/2" thick and about 3/4"-1" long, reddish
flesh as I noted before but with this semi-translucent silvery skin. Every
year, I usually pick one of the fruits to eat but never am tempted to pick
and eat more than one.
John Fears