nafex - [nafex] Re: Elaeagnus family (how to approach unknown plants)

  • From: "Robert H." <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Elaeagnus family (how to approach unknown plants)
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:01:04 -0000

--- In nafex@y..., Don Yellman <dyellman@e...> wrote:
> Robert: I think if I had this plant I would just step back and enjoy
it for a
> while. There is normally some objective in mind before one goes out
> graft, hand-pollinate or otherwise manipulate a plant. (Ready,
fire, aim.)

I havent bought the plant yet, I just saw it cheap at the nursery and
was curious about it. If I do get it, it may be something I will keep
in a pot or put at my parents house for now. Its amazing how question
just pop in my head when I see a familair name on a plant. :)

> How are your other extensive planting plans proceeding? I hope I
was able to
> prevail on you to scale back a little on the numbers of plants lest
they
> become too crowded. Having planted a somewhat unusual fruiting
bush, you are
> already a certified fruit explorer?

The plants I have planted so far are doing pretty well. This early
spring with periodic freezing temps done here have me consern about a
few though. The Hardy Kiwi's leaves are not so hardy, though the vine
seems to be fairing ok. Curiously though, I have read that the vine is
a vigorous grower, but in the past year I have seen mostly
leaves..maybe an inch or two growth. I think it might be last years
drought. Plus they need time to get established after the spring
planting. None of the my plant grow that much.

I have changed the plans a bit. I got rid of the Mulberry trees idea
and a few others. I may be going about this a little fast. I wont be
doing any understory plants till the ones I have reach a fair size. A
few of the plants I found out will not work here anyway. The plans I
have will be in constant change, thats why I posted it. It all a big
experiment. I expect a few failures. I was hoping (and glad)to get
this kind of feedback and discussion. I still would like to see what
others are doing (plans or pictures). Its hard enough finding good
pictures of the minor fruits themselves - less how it looks in the
landscape with others.

>Study up on Eleagnus, and
exchange
> experiences with other growers. But let your little bush grow
peacefully for
> now.

Yes this will have to wait. I am just trying cutting rights now. I
have yet to do layering, grafting, and buddding yet. I do have two
small apple trees I grew from some old store fruit. This seems like a
prime candidate for my first practice tree. But thats much later.
Dont worry I will keep everyone updated. I also hope to see some of
you at the SFF meeting in Florida in June.

> Best Regards, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Thanx again or your input

http://us.click.yahoo.com/03IJGA/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/VTJVlB/TM