nafex - [nafex] elaeagnus

  • From: hector black <hblack@TWLakes.Net>
  • To: nafex <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] elaeagnus
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 08:18:26 -0800

If you have a thorny plant, it might be better to get rid of it, or graft it low on the plant with a thornless one.  Those thorns can be mean when you're picking fruit, or if you're like me and get raked as you go around the bush with a riding mower.
All of the Elaeagnus graft easily, but since large branches tend to wear out (at least that seems to be the case with all those we've tried) and die over time, it is not as useful as grafting an apple which will grow for 25 years.
The heaviest bearing and best fruit is on the strong, new branches, not the old twiggy ones.  In that it's like many other plants.  Goumi doesn't have old dead branches, but autumn olive and sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides) do.  The Russian olive (E. angustifolia) has problems with heat and humidity combined.  Buffaloberry (Shepherdia) has similar problems here.   Hector Black   zone 6

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
www.newaydirect.com