nafex - Re: [nafex] To Ed

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] To Ed
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 18:32:36 -0500

As a purchaser of nursery products, I do think there is a tendency for
farmers to "forget" to pay themselves when they are calculating their
costs. I suppose what with a competitive market and all, so long as all
the other farmers are willing to give up a paycheck to stay on the farm,
it's hard for any one to raise his prices. I've seen craftsmen underpay
themselves, too.

I doubt the typical suburban garden plant consumer is tremendously
cost-sensitive. Especially the ones who are willing to buy mail order,
and incur enormous (relative to the cost of the plants) shipping costs.
It is not in my interests to say so, but I doubt you'd lose a ton of
business if you raised your rates. Obviously, the wholesale market,
which is buying many more plants at a time, is more cost-sensitive.

When I got the Bear Creek catalog I thought it was too good to be true.
It was. Now I wonder where I can go to buy. . .

Best,
Ginda Fisher