nafex - Re: [nafex] To Ed

  • From: Ed & Pat Fackler <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] To Ed
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 05:05:42 -0500

Fluffy Bunny wrote:

> Ed ("livin and lovin" it in southern Indiana)wrote:
>
> However, like most small nurseries, they always price their products
> (mainly trees) way too low and in time go out of business (like Bear
> Creek and many others in recent years).
> My advice is to appreciate their willingness to help you and don't bitch
> when they finally raise their prices enough to make a living.
>
> and...
>
> The only criticism I have of it is simply the very low pricing. In order
> for John to continue his fine work, Fedco's prices MUST go up, and John
> must
> accept the fact that an increase in price will eliminate a few customers.
> And
> that is okay-fine, as those who are plagued with a radical distortion of
> value
> (of a farmer) can go elsewhere (you can guess where they go, can't you?).
>
> My reply:
>
> Ok Ed, inquiring minds want to know.
>
> What is the correct price for a tree? And while we are on it, define
> making a living.

My response-------

Firstly, there are really few "inquiring minds" as we here in the states
have become a tad too COMFORTABLY numb. Specifically addressing the state of
ag which includes all food crops and producers thereof, we have the lowest
percapita food cost in the world (somewhere around 11% of personal income).
This phemenon (ag efficiency) has gone on for decades, or the real loser in
higher production ag is the farmer and rural integrity. Everyone else wins,
in the shortterm anyway.
The correct price for a tree is determined simply on cost to produce
said tree (which includes the evaluation process), cost of processing
(digging, grading, trimming, cold storage, shipping protocol, etc.) cost of
advertising, plus the perceived "sinful" thing (as applied to a farmer
anyway) called profit.
Profit as defined here is that which allows the farmer to stay on the
farm in a non-subsidized manner. In my case, the desired net profit margin
has been 30% of gross sales. In some few years, we acheived this margin and
in others, we didn't.
Many years ago, we made some major decisions on how to stay on the farm
without any government subsidies. And while difficult, we managed to pull it
off simply because of personal preference, tenacity, internal organization
and a bit of luck.

You wrote-------------

> This has the potential to develop into an interesting discourse and get
> all "the cards"' on the table.

My response-------

I doubt this as me thinks incredibly few on this site are interested,
esp. from two primadonnas like me and you. Fluff, its like this. If me and
you exhibit all this intelligence at once, why we'z could shut down the
internet and literally be imprisioned for such a collosial activity. It
would go down in history as a "wizdom short circuitry"!!!
Like I'm 'a shakin' in my boots just with the thought of it!!

Ed, So. Indiana, heavenly paradise, etc.