nafex - [nafex] Wow...what a plant

  • From: Fluffy Bunny <the.fluffy.bunny@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Wow...what a plant
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 22:38:14 -0500

Gang:

In the midwest, winter came early this year. Most of my trees still
have their desiccated leaves hanging limply from limbs. The never had
time to harden off before the first snow arrived. However the week
before the first big cold snap I was nestling in my strawberries and
brambles for the winter. I distinctly remember pulling up any of the
Triple Crown Blackberries that had tip rooted, and dutifully headed back
all the canes to a manageable length. Then the snow hit, and the cold.

So imagine my surprise when wandering through the garden I saw a most
disturbing sight. There were brambles mixed in my strawberries. And
those brambles were in deep. Amazingly it appears that the Triple Crown
just kept on growing under the snow, and weighed down as it was it took
root every place. In fact the arms grew quite a bit between November
and the first of March. Frankly I am astounded and perturbed (as this is
reeking havoc in my strawberry patch.)

Perplexed I examined my other brambles, Taylor, Autumn Britten, Heritage,
Fall Gold. They all appeared to have been hit fairly hard by the
winter, and I am less then jubilant at the prospects from them for the
coming season (Taylor in particular).

So has anyone else ever witnessed anything like this? A blackberry
growing in the winter time? Perplexed...

the fluffy one