nafex - Re: [nafex] Wow...what a plant

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Wow...what a plant
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 12:26:12 -0600

The Fluffly One wrote:
>So has anyone else ever witnessed anything like this? A blackberry
>growing in the winter time? Perplexed...

I live in your same general area, but about 60 miles further north into
Wisconsin, and we had the same things happen. As I posted several months
ago, the trees that were not native were caught with their leaves on and
still retain them. We currently have blowing leaves as the permafrost is
finally starting to melt and release things. I don't have brambles, yet,
but I did notice yesterday that my Grandfather's iris (pre- 1920) were green
and had grown new shoots under the snow cover, which was more that 3 feet at
times. The new green growth is about 14 inches high. Daylilies did the
same. They have new growth!! I have not got to the blueberries or
grapes--still too much drifted and piled snow that has turned to ice. But,
I will report when I can get to them.

This truly was a strange winter. I knew it would be when the sugar maples
started turning Aug. 1 and the first snow fell Oct. 6.
Doreen Howard
Janesville, WI