nafex - [nafex] Perfect-flowered persimmons

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Perfect-flowered persimmons
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 08:29:16 -0600

Lon wrote:
>There are also a few perfect flowered
> >persimmons. On is Szukis (pronounced "shoe kiss") and another is one from
> >breeder Jim Claypool, his F-100. I have both and have found the F-100 to
> >be
> >the most reliable. It is technically male, but it sets both small seedless
> >fruit and larger seeded fruit. That is, it has both male flowers and some
> >perfect flowers on the same tree.

While I've not looked at it while in bloom, I have a local native persimmon
I 'discovered' a couple of years back that produces mostly small (1-1.5")
seedless fruits, and a moderate number (maybe 20%) of larger fruits -
occasionally seedless, but usually containing a single seed. I pulped out
a gallon of fruit from this tree last fall and got about 30 seeds - usually
I'd get that many out of a half-dozen fruits. Seeds are 'plumper' than
those of the typical persimmon.
No other persimmons within several hundred yards of this tree, as far as I
can tell - it's growing in the fenceline of a cornfield along the highway.
Do you suppose this one would qualify as polygamodioiecious, like Szukis
or F-100?

>Graft some on your "Meader" and you will
> >get fruit on all the tree.
> >-Lon Rombough
> >Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, consulting, more, at
> >http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom >>

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY