nafex - [nafex] Re: Meader persimmons

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Meader persimmons
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 17:31:24 -0000

>The "downside" was that all seeds would produce female plants as
>there was no "y" chromosome pollen produced.Just a thought.

Would this be so for plants? Reptiles (I think) don't have a "sex"
chromosome (gestational temp often determines sex), birds have XZ and
XX (and if I remember correctly the males are the XX). Only mammals
consistently are XX and XY (and even there they've recently found a
genus of S. American mice that has XX females and XY Males and
Females (and the XY Females appear to be "super moms").

I'm just saying I'm not sure how it "works" for plants - I honestly
don't know, but it may not be a "no male's produced" situation.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@egroups.com, jhecksel@v... wrote:

> "Lon J. Rombough" wrote:
> >
> > I'd wager you bought your "Meader" from a nursery in Oregon or
Washington.
> > In the NW climate Meader will set seedless fruit and mature
them, but it's a
> > fluke of our climate. In most places, you have to have a male to
pollinate
> > it. HOWEVER, "Meader" is a seedling of Garretson, one of the
"Early Golden"
> > family, and as such, carries genes that allow it to occasionaly
develop
> > limbs of male flowers.
>
> I once read that certain other genus will produce pollen bearing
flower
> on female plant under conditions of exuberant
> fertility/moisture/sunlight. There is a certain logic to the
premise.
> Setting pollen bearing flowers might be nature's way of ensuring the
> exploitation of an opportunity, regardless of the existence of
nearby
> males. The "downside" was that all seeds would produce female
plants as
> there was no "y" chromosome pollen produced.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> >If that happens, you will get seeded fruit as long
> > as you don't prune the male limb off. There are also a few
perfect flowered
> > persimmons. On is Szukis (pronounced "shoe kiss") and another is
one from
> > breeder Jim Claypool, his F-100. I have both and have found the
F-100 to be
> > the most reliable. It is technically male, but it sets both
small seedless
> > fruit and larger seeded fruit. That is, it has both male flowers
and some
> > perfect flowers on the same tree. Graft some on your "Meader"
and you will
> > get fruit on all the tree.
> > -Lon Rombough
> > Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, consulting, more, at
> > http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

_->

> --
>
> -Joe Hecksel
> Eaton Rapids,
> Michigan
>

> All seven year old boys are lawyers. Most of them grow out of it.

With US & International rates as low as 3.9c a minute from Net2Phone
Direct Plus Up to 1500 FREE minutes; you can call everyone on your list!
http://click.egroups.com/1/10924/0/_/423498/_/978197505/