nafex - Re: [nafex] good stuff, perhaps

  • From: "Mark Garrison" <pawpaw1@home.com>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] good stuff, perhaps
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 11:13:50 -0000

> I need some advice on blueberry culture for zone 6. We've had
> Coville and Blueray varieties here since 1976 and they've done
> exceedling well with very little care.
>
> They produce some 30 lbs. of fruit per year per bush.
>
> And I'm going to expand this a bit with other varieties which ripen
> at different times.
>
> Recommendations needed. Thanks.

Blueray is one of our best varieties. Berkeley is a little bit later, our
you-pick customers love it although many "experts" diss it for lack of taste
(it is on the mild side). We have a lot of Bluecrop, the main mid-season
commercial variety in the East, but I wish I had plaanted more Blueray,
Berkeley, perhaps Spartan instead. We have some Nelson, late mid-season,
some customers really like them, others findthem a little tart. Blue Haven
from DeGrandchamps is tricky to grow, heavy producer, smallish beries with a
distinctive crunch when eaten, pretty good taste. My personal favorite is
Herbert, hard to find and hard to grow, but if allowed to get fully ripe
(it's late) the flavor is wonderfully complex. DeGrandchamps is good but
I've switched to Fall Creek in Oregon (fallcreeknursery.com) because they
have some newer varieties, such as Nui and Toro which I'm trying; Nui and
Toro produce very large, good tasting berries, but I can't yet vouch for
productivity. Speaking of which, 30 lbs per bush is outstanding--wish I
could do as well (and that our customers would pick them all.) Fall Creek
only sells wholesale, 100 plants or more, but their catalog is very useful
for descriptions of varieties. We have some variety descriptions on our
website, still a work in process (rockypointblueberries.com), also our
marketing ideas on the website might be of interest to pick-your-own
growers.

Mark Garrison
Zone 6, Rhode Island

eLerts