nafex - [nafex] blueberries

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] blueberries
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 15:48:13 -0600

At 02:52 PM 12/28/2000 -0500, Ed wrote:
> I need some advice on blueberry culture for zone 6. We've had
>Coville and Blueray varieties here since 1976 and they've done
>exceedling well with very little care.

Ed,
We've got Blueray(or Bluecrop, I can't recall which), Elliot, Nelson,
Spartan, and Patriot; all have been bearing for about 4 years now - I can't
quantitate amounts produced, as the kids eat most of them right off the
bushes. As I stated earlier, I like Spartan & Patriot best.

I'm a bit south of you - doubt that most rabbiteyes would work for you 'up
there', but I'm sure putting some in - while they may not get as large here
in KY as in AL, my dad's 10 bushes are probably 7ft tall,with similar
spread - I remember a couple of years back when we went down to visit, Dad
had picked all he intended to, we picked 40 qts, and you still couldn't
tell that anyone had picked at all - no need for bird protection; there
were plenty for them and us.
Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY