nafex - Re: [nafex] Is it just me or...

  • From: jim <jmc1@epix.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Is it just me or...
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 13:18:23 +0000

Richard, there's an easier way to invigorate those trees -- no risk, little
effort,
cheap:

Inarch with vigorous rootstocks.

About a foot out from the base of the tree, set half a dozen McIntosh or
Delicious
trees on seedling roots (or plant seedling rootstocks directly). By the time
bark
is slipping next May, these should be well established. When the bark is
slipping,
perform inarch grafts (well illustrated in any good how-to grafting book).
Use a
product such as Tree-Kote to cover the surgery.

You'll see no increase in vigor the first year, but after that, hang on to
your hat!

Jim Cummins
CUMMINS NURSERY
Geneva

Richard J. Ossolinski wrote:

> It ain't just you, Fluff. Now, having said that, do I dare post the
> following?
> Query:
> I just received a question from a customer for whom I planted a 'backyard'
> orchard five or six years ago. Back then he wanted all of the trees never
> exceed twelve feet in height, so I selected appropriate
> rootstocks/varieties.
> Today he said that he'd like to get them up to about twenty feet, if
> possible.
> Having never fooled around in this regard with more than only a few of my
> own
> trees, I felt unqualified to give him advice until I got some feedback from
> any of you who might have had experience in this department.
> How high above the graft unions is it safe to mound
> soil (bury the trunks so as to encouraging rooting from above the graft
> unions)
> and how far from the trunks should the added soil radiate? Are we risking
> 'smothering' the trees (i.e. burying the existing roots too deep) by such a
> maneuver? Should (severe) pruning be included as part of this strategy?
> The
> trees are
> on one level of a terraced slope, and we have the means to raise the level
> of the
> entire terrace to whatever height (above the graft unions) might be deemed
> appropriate and safe. Finally, and just as importantly, can we do this now,
> or
> would it be
> safer/wiser to wait until after the spring thaw? The site is in coastal
> downeast (Winter
> Harbor) ME, zone 5, and of all the trees are healthy and bearing. Most of
> the
> apples are
> on M7 and the stone fruits on St. Julian A.; and the spacing is such that
> full size
> trees would not be a problem.
> Thanks for any suggestions.
> Ozzie
> Richard J. Ossolinski
> Downeast Fruit Tree Services
> HC 35 Box 370
> Gouldsboro, ME 04607
> (207) 963-4082
>
> fluffy bunny wrote:
> >
> > Gang:
> >
> > Is it me or did Dr. Chiranjit Parmar just "spam" the entire list with the
> > post entitled "Information about non-commercial and lesser known
> > plants."?
> >
> > One of the many positive things would state about this particular forum
> > is the remarkable absence of commercial or fee based service offerings.
> > We all know the Vorbecks have Applesource, Ed Fackler has Rocky Meadow,
> > Lon has his service and Nursery, Ozzie has his and so on and so on.
> > Based on the private placed solicitations I have received I would guess
> > that at least 200 Nafex members have commercial enterprises scaling from
> [...]

Tellme Sports. Tellme Stocks. Tellme News. Just Tellme.
Call 1-800-555-TELL and hear everything. For info visit:
http://click.egroups.com/1/9529/15/_/423498/_/970506256/