nafex - Re: [nafex] Was: Weed fabric, Now: Clovers & cover/trap crops

  • From: LONGDISTSHTR <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Was: Weed fabric, Now: Clovers & cover/trap crops
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 09:58:35 -0400

Lucky Pittman wrote:

> At 09:25 AM 07/04/2000 -0400, Doc Lisenby wrote:
> >!One (all?)of the clovers causes cattle to
> >hemorrhage, eh, Lucky? Coumadin?
>
> Only sweet clover (Melilotus spp) is a problem, so far as interfering with
> coagulation is concerned, and really only if it's fed as spoiled or moldy
> sweet clover hay. The standing plant contains some coumarin, but it's not
> especially palatable to cattle - they'll consume it, but it's one of the
> last things they'll eat, before they start in on the broomsedge and
> goldenrod. However, if cut for hay and rained upon or not dried rapidly
> enough, molds will grow and convert the coumarin to dicoumarin which is
> much more active in interfering with the synthesis and activity of Vitamin
> K. The other clovers and legumes don't cause this problem. For a more
> indepth discussion on sweet clover poisoning, check out this site:
> http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/animaldisease/g325.htm
>
> In a pasture setting, my own preference for legumes runs to Ladino clover
> and annual lespedeza. Red clover is a short-lived perennial - you may get
> 3 years or so out of it before you have to re-seed, but if you get
> Ladino(white clover with a turbo-charger) established, it's there for the
> long run in most cases. Most of the clovers will pretty much go dormant,
> or at least slow down, when hot weather hits, and that's when the annual
> lespedeza really shines - it makes the bulk of its growth here in my zone
> 6b from July through September. Managed correctly, by either removing
> grazing animals or stopping mowing around 1 Oct, will allow it to reseed
> itself. I've not purposely planted either in my fruit orchard, though
> there are some 'volunteer' patches of both here and there, as well as a lot
> of the subterranean hop clover.
> I can't comment on the attractiveness of either for stinkbugs & the like,
> as noted by Ed Fackler, but ATTRA has an online publication on Sustainable
> Pecan Production which addresses, briefly, planting cover/trap crops to
> divert problem insects or increase numbers of beneficial insect
> predators. These may not work for pomefruits.
> http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/pecan.html
>

> Lucky Pittman
> USDA Zone 6
> Hopkinsville, KY

> Make your old place like like new... Win A Guy!
Thanks a million, Lucky! Very informative. Ladino-white with a
turbo-charger, Ha! Wish I had a lot of sweet clover, excellent honey
plant. I've got plenty of lespedeza but not in the orchard. I haven't
seen stinkbugs on my pecans, but I'm going to check 'em out today. I
think they are all on my 'maters. They probably were referring to other
insects anyway. Doc Lisenby Zone 7/8 So. Car.

Where do sports heroes like Derek Jeter, Mia Hamm,
Vince Carter and Peyton Manning hang out? Where else?
Click now and find ‘em all here!
http://click.egroups.com/1/6211/0/_/423498/_/962891983/