nafex - Re: [nafex] Weed fabric

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Weed fabric
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 22:23:40 -0700

A good method, I'm sure. My problem is lack of some or all the materials
involved, and lack of time to do all that. That was my hope with the fabric
- I could just stick to mowing the aisles and let the fabric keep the area
under the vines clear without a lot of work. Just one of the problems of
getting older, busier, etc. You keep trying to find ways to do things fast
and easy.

Subterranean clover has worked in some places. It comes up in the spring,
blooms, buries it's seeds, and dies down before midsummer, so it doesn't
compete. In the autumn, it comes back with the rain, helping reduce water
to the vines so the fruit ripens better. Takes work to maintain a thick
stand of it, though. Other stuff creeps in and reduces the effect.
-Lon
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, more, at http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

----------
>From: Fluffy Bunny <the.fluffy.bunny@juno.com>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: Re: [nafex] Weed fabric
>Date: Mon, Jul 3, 2000, 9:42 PM
>

>Lon wrote:
>
> One problem everyone has to deal with is keeping the soil under trees
>and
>vines clean, or at least well managed so weeds don't grow up too much.
>
>and
>
>Seems like organic materials for mulch
>- hay, compost, etc. - are the best way to go.
>
>My reply:
>
>Lon, the best approach for me has been both inexpensive and practical.
>In the spring, before the heavy rains I put down about two inches of good
>semi-finished compost. Next I put down a double layer of cardboard. On
>top of that I lay rough mulch. The spring rains saturate the cardboard
>preventing it from becoming hard(a real risk if you attempt this in mid
>to late summer), and the cardboard effectively blocks the sunlight.
>Weed problems are very, very minimal.
>
>If you are totally into the organic thought process, you might want to
>examine the labels from the cardboard boxes for strange chemicals. I
>found almost all the manufacturing companies are very willing to tell you
>what they treat their boxes with in the manufacturing process.
>
>One other thing I have considered is planting some type of clover. I
>wonder if regular weeds would find themselves out hustled by the clover.
> I have seen large clumps of it, and it is very attractive and not very
>tall so it seems like it might make a good living mulch. Any thoughts on
>the use of clover, and recommended varieties by anyone.
>
>Wishing you the best,
>
> the fluffy bunny

>Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
>Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit:
>http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

>Win a Guy and up to $20,000 in repairs to boot!

Need some home improvement repairs done? Win A Guy and make him do it!
http://click.egroups.com/1/6285/0/_/423498/_/962688001/