nafex - Re: [nafex] Weed fabric

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@harborside.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Weed fabric
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 11:33:50 -0700

My 2 cents worth. I use wood chips for my mulch and it does a very good job of
keeping down the weeds and it decomposes over time to provide more nutrients
for the trees. I spread it about 6 inches thick It lasts a number of years and
keeps the ground underneath moist and loose. There are a lot of earthworms in
it so I take that as a good sign.
Out here in Oregon they are easy to come by but expensive since the logging
industry has all but disappeared. It costs about $300 for a chip truck
full.(about 80 c.y.)
You can also get them free from the power co. when they are trimming trees
along the power lines.
Sam

ED Mashburn wrote:

> At 09:25 AM 7/4/00 -0400, you wrote:

> not like the long term results. I have found the same problems. I have
> access to large amounts of leaves and find that they are the best in the
> long run, I apply about 5 to 6 inches of leaves to the rows in the fall and
> sometimes again in the early summer. This has provided adequet mulch, weed
> suppression and organic matter in the rows (of gooseberries and currants).
>
> I do not like clover because it is a heavy moisture user and tends  to
> creep into the rows. I have grass growing in the alleyways between the rows
> and blow the clippings onto the rows as I cut the grass.
>
> This method has allowed me to grow berries without irrigation to the rows.
>
> Ed Mashburn
> Northumberland BerryWorks
> 707 Front Street
> Northumberland, PA  17857
> (570) 473-9910
> WWW.currants.com
> Ed@currants.com

> Make your old place like like new... Win A Guy!

Make your old place like like new ...Win A Handyman!
http://click.egroups.com/1/6290/0/_/423498/_/962735633/