nafex - [nafex] Re: powdery mildew on grapes

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: powdery mildew on grapes
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 17:27:47 -0000

Patricia,
Traditionally fungicides had to be applied *before* there was
infection (ones like Captan, Ferbam, Mancozeb, etc.) as they provided
a protective or preventitive effect. Some of the newer pesticides
(like "Rubigan" and "Nova") offer some curative effect. Here's the
catch: The newer pesticides tend to be expensive and are often
restricted use (meaning you'd have to have some sort of spraying
license (I have a private applicators license, which means I can
spray plants on land I own or rent, but I can't spray for others for
money (which requires a commercial applicators license and more
restrictions)). I don't know what the laws are in CA. or how bad
your case of PM is. I.e. usually by the time you've seen the
symptoms its too late. Although spraying might prevent PM on
uninfected bunches or on your other grapes if you have another
infection period.

I could refer you to the same site I mentioned that has a spray
schedule, but given CA's different climate and laws, you might want
to see if CA has an extension service and offers information.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@egroups.com, PRishel826@a... wrote:
> Hi all, while we're on grapes here...my French Columbard vine has
developed a
> severe case of powdery mildew...all of my American varieties are
untouched
> (obviously, I guess), as are my other viniferas...only the
Columbard (fruit
> included, it seems) has it. Does anyone have any spray suggestions
for me
> that might check the pm? I'd be grateful. Thanks so much,
Patricia Rishel
> Los Angeles USDA Zone 11

22,345,678 matches to your search term?
Inforocket.com is the fast way to the right answer - guaranteed.
http://click.egroups.com/1/4521/0/_/423498/_/959794162/