nafex - Re: [nafex] Two questions

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Two questions
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 14:01:58 -0400

I guess there are no perfect book.
If you want information on old apple varieties, Beach's "Apples of New
York" IS the reference. Brook and Olmo's register (suggested by Lon
Rombough) is an excellent reference but lacks illustrations (at least the
lists that appeared periodically in Hort Science - I haven't seen the book,
but I assume it is the same as the lists).

I like very much J. Bultitude "Apples : a guide to the identification of
international varieties", pub. 1983, about 250 varieties described. Colour
pictures for each. Was unfortunately out of print last time I checked.

Another one is "The book of Apples" by Morgan and Richards, with something
like 2000 varieties briefly described, few but beautiful illustrations.
Mostly about English varieties, but many from all around the world. Very
interesting text about the history of apples.

I also like Daryl Hunter's CD-rom "The Kitchen Orchard" which describes
about 125 apple varieties, all with one or more nice pictures.

An interesting recent book is by Khanizadeh and Cousineau: "Our Apples -
Les pommiers de chaz nous". This is a bilingual book with descriptions of
about 250 apple varieties, most with colour pictures. The content is good,
however, the quality of the pictures and of the paper is quite poor,
especially when considering the cost of the book.

Hoping this helps...
Claude Jolicoeur, Quebec.

A 11:20 00.05.31 -0400, vous avez écrit :
>Is there a comprehensive book on apple cultivars (pear too, for that
>matter) that would give summary information on the biology, history,
>growing practices and other characteristics for each? Manhart's "Apples
>for the 21st Century" is a good start but he only features about 50
>prominent cultivars.

22,345,678 matches to your search term?
Inforocket.com is the fast way to the right answer - guaranteed.
http://click.egroups.com/1/4521/0/_/423498/_/959796252/