msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Drone desensitizing

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'ALLEN SNYDER'" <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>, "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Drone desensitizing
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 09:40:04 -0500

As previously discussed there is a significant difference between training a patrol or posse mount and a

SAR mount.  That said, you may be violating FAA flight regulations by flying an aircraft over the group and I

Am sure the FAA will not accept “the sheriff told me to break the law” as a defense.  I have been under helicopters,

off airport landings, next to hot air balloons blowing off their burners, fire trucks, and so forth. If the horse trusts

you it will do what you want it to do.  And most SAR work is done in small, separated groups so herd behavior

does not represent normal field exposure.

At around age 4 he was exposed to a 12 point (or more) buck suddenly rising out of 4 foot high grass and charging.

The buck was bigger than he was and he turned and got about 100 yards away before I realized what was going on.

That was the first time and the last time over the next 24 years I had him that he bolted.

Irv Lichtenstein