msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Airscent training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ldtibbs@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Airscent training
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 00:27:51 -0400 (EDT)

Well said!

Kay
:-)
-----Original Message-----
From: irvin lichtenstein <ilichten1@verizon.net>
To: 'Mounted search and rescue' <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Wed, Jul 3, 2013 4:12 pm

My experience since 1986 indicates that the only special equipment you need to cue the horse that he is working is your search gear.  That is only similarity to dog work is that I have seen K-9’s change their whole behavior pattern when the orange vest goes on.
My mount recognizes the difference between being fully geared up with saddle bags and radios and water on the pommel versus when he is only in a saddle pad, or other tack.  He also recognizes me versus several friends and the barn staff who handle him regularly. He knows the vet and the farrier as well.
He is never muzzled and only when he gets a case of the munchies is he pulled off grazing as his paddock is a dry lot (muddy lot actually) with round bales and he is grained in the barn.  The presence of green grass does not interfere with his working in most cases and a mouthful here and there helps with hydration and relaxation.
The secret appears to be how you learned to ride.  I had one lesson on a friend’s mare which consisted of how to put the Western saddle on and an admonition not to fall off.  My horse has not been sent to school or desensitized, or bombproofed.  And his reward for a good day’s work is another day working in the state park since he hates going around in circles.
I have ridden a Percheron cross for almost 30 years now. They are cool, calm, smart, and never lose an argument with a rider.  They can cover an amazing amount of ground and are surprisingly light on their feet. A lot of patrol mounts are Percheron crosses these days.  One of his handlers is a tiny blonde who learned dressage and horse training in the classic European style and he does groundwork for her and nobody else.

You find the horse that works, and then don’t mess with him.  If you prefer smaller mounts get a working cow horse, and treat him like a horse not a puppy. Puppies have to learn how to hunt, horses know how to survive by the time they are weaned.
You can rant all you want—just do it off list please.

Irv Lichtenstein
Ilichten1 at Verizon dot net