msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Airscent training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Airscent training
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 12:13:21 -0600

I do see value in using a grazing muzzle on a horse if the horse is
being worked on a long lead or at liberty, and is prone to snatch
bites of grass rather than work.

The call of green grass can be a major issue. Here in New Mexico,
which is mostly desert, most horses live in bare dirt lots. It is
a rare horse who spends any time daily on grass pasture. I did send
my mare to a ranch once for a few months' vacation, but even there
the pasture was so poor that the horses required hay daily. Rather
than muzzle her, I taught her a verbal cue "take a bite" and let
her graze in hand or under saddle. This was her preferred reward
I used to reinforce her alerts when training or working missions
anywhere there was grass. I also used verbal praise "Good girl!"
and pats, for use when grass was not available.