msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Airscent training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Naturalhorse101@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Airscent training
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 13:54:33 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 7/3/2013 11:01:51 A.M. Central Daylight Time, msar-riders-request@lists.ibiblio.org writes:
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 12:57:28 -0400
From: Richard Lynch <cavalrycpt@hailstorm.org>
To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>

Chuck,

Very good.  Do you use special equipment (muzzle) as recommended by Terry Nowacki so that the horse knows it's time to go to work and doesn't concentrate on nibbling at grass and leaves.

No, I would never contemplate using a muzzle on any of my horses for any of reason.

*If any of my horses were IR/laminitis prone or had other metabolic issues I would follow a treatment plan and let them graze mornings when starch/sugar levels are low to address social and physical/natural needs and let them eat appropriate hay, (low in NSC: starches, water soluble sugars and fructans) the rest of the day .

If they're 'snatching' occasionally as they walk along searching that's fine with me, (Boss would  occasionally into a trot searching). The reason is that it helps neutralize the acid in their stomach. A horse's stomach is constantly producing acid. Saliva produced from chewing acts as a neutralizer, (as does food in their stomach). A good way to start ulcers is to work a horse on an empty stomach as any activity might cause the acid to reach the upper, less protected stomach lining. And too, pain associated with a specific activity can logically lead to negative association, resistance and 'behavioral issues.'

If they are actually stopping for any period of time to graze, then several things, (or a combination) may have occurred.

The first is possible 'functional malnutrition' which would cause the horse to actually stop on a 'search' when they find plants that fulfill their nutritional needs, (and/or they came upon an extremely tasty plant not otherwise available in their home environment).

The second may be that the last practice sessions were too short and the horse simply gave up 'searching' after a period of time.

The third is that they need simply to neutralize the acid in their stomach.

The fourth is that the food motivator reward was not strong enough to fulfill needed incentive, (ie, not using their absolute favorite treat and/or insufficient reward amount).

There is another reason but I have no desire to get into a 'training rampage' on this list, (and why I delete my website address from the signature).

Chuck & Kids
Lady, Able, Sundance & Combustion
(And Nikki, Rebel & Boss)