msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Side Saddle Questions

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@verizon.net
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Side Saddle Questions
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 17:45:34 -0500 (CDT)

 I agree with most of what you have to say. We have one 84year old member who couldn't walk a long section but is valuable in the saddle and several others whose length of time riding the local wilderness makes them absolutely invaluable resources! However the way our structure on call-outs is the ops/plans/ICS may not know our unit and individual restrictions or capabilities nor the terrain we are being asked to search. So the "safe, efficient, successful" part must come from within our own unit. Deciding when, and HOW, to tell a member that you do not think they should search with you can be difficult at the best of times.

AND just because someone disagrees with you Irv doesn't necessarily and automatically mean they are "ignorant of the basic principles of volunteer emergency service." :-) It means they may have a different level of experience or have experience in a different locale or may simply just have a different opinion than you! ALL are valued in SAR.

Chris

We can accommodate almost any skill or capability level in the field.  It is up to the plans or ops section chief to ensure that the proper resources are assigned to tasks that must be done so that searcher is safe, efficient, and possibly successful in locating the subject.  If you think you are a competent searcher and cannot accommodate a rider who prefers a different style or equipment you are still ignorant of the basic principles of volunteer emergency service.

Irv Lichtenstein