msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Side Saddle Questions

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Finkle" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Side Saddle Questions
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 23:43:36 -0400

Well said Chris-

I asked the original side saddle question because of MSAR standards and not
to create discord within this group (this was a topic
that I've never encountered during my 39 years of performing SAR). As we all
know, SAR protocols have changed a great deal since
9-11-2001. Nowadays many MSAR standards are mirroring the U.S. Department of
Interior's Mounted Search Technician position and the
numerous State (level) accepted MSAR standards. Additionally, physical
fitness requirements for all SAR personnel are also becoming
both performance and physical fitness based. Sometimes a local MSAR team
does things that are not seen within general SAR/MSAR
standards or commonly accepted protocols and if a local AHJ/RA accepts their
way of doing business, then any liability issues fall
upon them. More and more teams are training to a very similar set of MSAR
standards. that contain the same KSA's and testing
procedures. MSAR standards help teams assign their members to missions based
upon the best interest of the mounted team/teams
deployed on the actual needs of the mission. On the down side, MSAR
standards are not based upon the personal preferences of an
individual team member.

My MSAR team has been serving 5 states for over 21 years and in February of
this year we completed our 100th search mission. I
personally have help with the development of ASTM Mounted SAR responder
standard, but found it complexing that some teams don't take
the time review and follow the protocols of the two state MSAR standards that
are referenced within the F2794 document. Over the
past 2 years, I've chaired the Pennsylvania MSAR Standards committee and I'm
happy to say PA now has their first ever set of MSAR
standards. In October of 2012 I travelled to Iceland and certified their
first MSAR team. Although some folks consider me an expert
within MSAR, I still have much to learn and try to keep an open mind with new
changes and current best practices. After spending
close to 3000 miles in the saddle, I realize that the day will soon come
that I can still ride, but will no longer be physically
fit to perform SAR. I consider myself blessed that I have been able to match
my MSAR experience with an equal amount of actual MSAR
deployments and formal training and then share what I know with others.

I hope to see some of you at the 2013 NASAR Conference next week and at the
ASTM F-32 SAR Committee meeting that will take place
next Saturday.

Ride safe,

T'mi