msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Side Saddle Questions

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Ruthie Franczek <ruthiefranczek@hotmail.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Side Saddle Questions
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 23:18:26 -0400

We are a newly minted mounted unit and definitely on a learning curve...so here goes...
 I rode an extensive 7 hour mock search in the mountains last weekend with my only partner as a sidesaddle rider.  (I also happen to be the only English rider on our team so I guess we are both the oddballs.)  She was a Godsend for me!  I mean this as she had wonderful PMA when I was melting down.  She has proven to me that she is capable of riding and extensive mission, can get on and off and indeed we did walk our horses at times to "save" them.  She has sustained a riding injury that restricts her riding comfort to sidesaddle.
I will just say that last Saturday my partner proved to me that she had plenty to offer with her experience in riding long trails in a  mountainous situation.  If there was any discomfort or hindrance on her part I certainly didn't see it!
Kudos to the sidesaddle rider!
Ruthie
Delmarva SAR