msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Heat Index criteria for training/active searches

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Heat Index criteria for training/active searches
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:41:09 -0400

There are many articles in The Horse concerning how to detect heat stress.  Based on the original findings after the summer Olympics in

Atlanta we do the following:

1. Determine a critical number for the horse, generally starting at 150 but can be higher or lower depending on horse.

2. Add the temperature (F) and % humidity together. Example: 80 F plus 80% equals 160.

3. Based on history with the horse determine if the risk outweighs the benefit if the number is higher than the horse’s critical number

4. Cancel training if too high

5. Stop activity if there is any distress

6. Stop activity if skin temperature reaches or exceeds 107 in saddle pad area

7. Check recovery times after activity against previous history (R&P, core temperature)

8. Constantly be observing for any effects of dehydration, or loss of coordination.

9. Properly hydrate both horse and rider, allow grazing on fresh grass which is fairly wet inside, avoid dry forage, really cold water.

The risk factors and the benefits must be weighed both by command and the rider.  We have often worked at night after the temperature has dropped to a more reasonable

number  or convection currents start moving the air, which is also better for scent detection.

Breed is not as significant as you may think and sometimes bigger horses work longer simply because of their surface area and the time it takes for them heat up.

WHEN IN DOUBT CONSULT YOUR VET (we did).

Irv Lichtenstein

SE PA SAR