msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Trailer problems solved

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Trailer problems solved
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 11:36:20 -0500

Splices of single conductor wire in conduit is always a bad idea.
The shrink wrap wears through and since most auto wiring is plus side only
a short happens. I had a Suburban in the shop for over 30 days because every
time it hit a pothole the dash board died. Turned out that when it was
delivered, 10 years prior, it was necessary to replace the inside mirror and
splice all the wiring in the headliner. And everybody, including the
service record system, forgot about it.
If possible you may want to replace the metal tube with butyl plastic
conduit. No rust, no conductivity if there is a short. You will have to
add a ground wire to the cable going through it.

The tires sound like an indicator of something wrong with the suspension.
Check the shocks and springs when you rotate as well. Sometimes the spring
and control arm bushings wear and the suspension can wobble.
I have a set of pictures of when my trailer was inspected last June if
anybody is interested.
Irv Lichtenstein