msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Heat Index criteria for training/active searches

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Heat Index criteria for training/active searches
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 16:41:24 -0600

Tracy, I am in a desert environment where humidity is very low and heat
stress index generally is not an issue. Of course it can be very hot,
far above what you can expect in Georgia, but then that increases the
urgency of the SAR mission, doesn't it? We would still activate, just
keep the exertion low and plan for extra rest stops and requiring a lot
of water. And we certainly would operate at night.

Do you have medical direction? How about training in how to prevent,
recognize, treat heat related medical problems? This could be useful
to request through your county Emergency Management office or GEMA.

Endurance riders and the veterinarians who supervise vet check stations
at endurance rides are savvy about effects of heat and humidity on their
horses.